Extra assistance when calling us

There is a range of extra help when trying to contact us with languages, translations, hearing or speech impairment.


We are committed to making sure everyone has access to payments and services.

Read more about how we make our services accessible.

Language assistance

For information in your language visit the Information in your language page or call us on 131 202 for Centrelink information.

Translating and Interpreting Service

Translating and Interpreting Service is an interpreting service, provided by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, for people who do not speak English and for the English speakers who need to communicate with them. It is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for any person or organisation in Australia requiring interpreting services.

Call TIS National on 131 450 about Medicare and Child Support. You can also visit one of our Service Centres - we offer free interpreters and document translations for Human Services business.

Phone 131 450 and request the phone number you wish to contact.

TTY users

Telephone our general enquiries TTY line on 1800 810 586 and request the phone number you wish to contact.

Speak and listen users, such as speech to speech relay, can use 1300 555 727 and request the phone number you wish to use to contact us.

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment you can use the National Relay Service, an Australia-wide phone and internet service, to contact us.

Visit the National Relay Service website and enter the phone number you wish to contact.

Assistance with forms

If you cannot complete a form and do not have someone to act on your behalf you can ask our staff at one of our service centres for help.

Request contact

To save you time, you can request for us to contact you at a time that suits you. For Centrelink services and payments fill out the request contact form with your details. Please note that response times vary.

Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP)

"13" numbers may not be available from VOIP services, please see your service provider for more information. If your VOIP service is unavailable you can also try using a land line.

Costs when calling us

Cost of calls to "13" numbers

Calls from your home phone to a "13" number from anywhere in Australia are the cost of a local call. Local call charges may vary depending upon the telephone service provider, and mobiles may incur a higher charge.

1800 numbers (FreeCALL™)

Calls to "1800" numbers from your home phone are free. Calls from a public phone and mobiles may be timed and charged at a higher rate.

Page last updated: 20 June 2016