About Income Management
Income Management is a way to help you manage your money to meet essential household needs and expenses.
How Income Management works
We will work with you to manage your payments, including Department of Veterans' Affairs payments, so you can meet priority needs such as rent, bills and food. This does not reduce your payments, but the way you receive them will change. The rest of your payments will be paid as usual, and you can spend that money as you wish.
Money that is income managed cannot be spent on:
- tobacco and tobacco products
- pornographic material
- gambling products and services
- homebrew kits or concentrates
Income Management locations
Income Management is currently available in the following locations:
- the Northern Territory
- Perth Metropolitan, the Peel region, the Kimberley region, Ngaanyatjarra (NG) Lands and Laverton Shire, Western Australia
- Logan, Rockhampton, Livingstone and Cape York, Queensland
- Bankstown, New South Wales
- Playford, Greater Adelaide and Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) Lands in South Australia
- Greater Shepparton, Victoria
Who can refer you
You may be referred for Income Management by:
- a social worker
- your local child protection authority
- the Family Responsibilities Commission (FRC) in Queensland
- an approved housing authority
- a referring authority
Income Management can also assist young welfare recipients and long term payment recipients with budgeting for essential needs.
If you live in one of the Income Management locations, you can also choose to volunteer for Income Management.
Using income managed money
You can access your income managed money:
- using the BasicsCard, which is similar to an EFTPOS card, to purchase most things except excluded goods and services at approved stores
- by setting up one off or regular direct payments to stores, landlords, real estate agents, or other service providers
- by talking to us and calling Freecall™ 1800 132 594