ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for non-student travellers
If you’re eligible for ABSTUDY Fares Allowance, it can sometimes be paid for someone other than you to travel.
Overnight accommodation and meals may be paid in some circumstances.
Assistance may be available for your partner and dependent children to travel if:
- you are eligible for ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for the type of travel
- your partner or dependent children travel to live at your place of study, and
Dependants may be eligible for a return trip between their home and your place of study for:
Assistance may be available for a return trip by your parent or guardian, partner or close family member for:
- compassionate travel due to serious illness or injury where a visit from a close family member would be appropriate, or
- orientation or special purpose travel where it is appropriate for your parent or guardian to travel with you to your place of study or to visit you at your place of study
Assistance may be available for a supervisor to travel with you because:
- you are a secondary school student who is eligible for ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for the type of travel, and
- supervision is required for your travel
Supervisors may be eligible for a return trip between their home and your place of study for all types of travel. This may include overnight accommodation and meals but any loss of pay is not covered.
A supervisor can be a parent or guardian, a person from your local community or a representative from your school or hostel. They must be 18 years of age or older.
All secondary school students younger than 12 years of age must travel with a supervisor for the entire journey. Students 12 to 17 years of age are encouraged to travel with a supervisor for trips where:
- you are travelling to an educational institution for the first time
- there is more than 1 mode of travel, for example a charter flight and a commercial flight
- there are long wait times between travel connections
- you cannot get to your educational institution in a single day and need to stay overnight
- you have a history of missing travel, or
- you have emotional or psychological challenges that require the support of a supervisor
Your supervisor must be able to look after you if you miss your transport or an unexpected disruption occurs mid-trip. This may mean staying with you overnight until your travel is rescheduled.
Assistance may be available for 1 travelling companion to travel with you if you:
- are eligible for ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for the type of travel, and
- have an illness, injury or disability and need someone to travel with you
Travelling companions may be eligible for a return trip between their home and your place of study for all types of travel.
Educational institution representatives
Assistance may be available for up to 2 representatives of an educational institution or hostel to travel to your home community if:
- you are eligible for ABSTUDY Fares Allowance
- you are eligible for orientation or special purpose visit travel
- the travellers will meet with you and your family at the boarding location, and
- there are at least 6 ABSTUDY students in your community who go to the school or hostel and there is likely to be a continued relationship between the school and your community
Educational institution representatives may be eligible for a return trip between the educational institution and your home community.