Approved courses of study and institutions

You must study an approved course at an approved institution to get Austudy, Youth Allowance as a student, or Pensioner Education Supplement.

Approved courses

Approved secondary courses include:

  • an accredited secondary school, TAFE, higher education institution or special school course
  • English as a second language (ESL) course
  • courses to get you ready for tertiary study
  • school based apprenticeship or traineeship
  • some language, literacy and numeracy courses

Approved tertiary courses include:

  • pre-vocational courses
  • ESL courses
  • Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses
  • associate degrees or diplomas
  • diplomas or advanced diplomas
  • bachelor degrees
  • bridging study for overseas trained professionals
  • graduate certificate or diploma courses
  • master’s qualifying courses
  • some master’s by coursework programs
  • combined approved courses in the Student Assistance (Education Institutions and Courses) Determination guide on the Department of Social Services website
  • open learning

If you’ve already done a course leading to a doctorate or equivalent, you can’t get Austudy or Pensioner Education Supplement.

You may get ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement to do master’s and doctoral courses that are approved.

Approved institutions

Approved institutions may include:

  • government schools, including distance education or correspondence courses
  • non-government institutions who offer primary, ungraded, secondary or special courses accredited by a state or territory education authority
  • senior secondary colleges
  • TAFE
  • registered training organisations - VET providers
  • higher education providers

Eligibility depends on your course and institution. This is something you’ll need to check.

Read more on the Department of Social Services website.

Page last updated: 6 December 2016

This information was printed Friday 28 April 2017 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.