Carer Allowance while travelling outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for Carer Allowance.

There are rules about how long your Carer Allowance can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

Rules for Carer Allowance outside Australia

If you, or the person you provide care for, leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If the person that you care for is:

  • with you while you are travelling outside Australia, you can continue being paid for the first 6 weeks overseas
  • not travelling with you, Carer Allowance will continue for the first 6 weeks, provided you have enough respite days remaining. There are 63 respite days in each calendar year
  • travelling without you, your Carer Allowance will continue while you have enough respite days remaining
  • under 16 years of age and stays in Australia with your partner while you are travelling, you can continue being paid Carer Allowance, but not Carer Payment, for up to 6 weeks while you are outside Australia, without using your respite days

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if you or the person you provide care for are leaving Australia and:

  • are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks, or
  • you are the carer and the person you provide care for is not travelling with you or is travelling outside Australia without you

Otherwise you do not need to tell us that you are leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 17 February 2017

This information was printed Thursday 25 May 2017 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.