Change of circumstances

It’s important to tell us if your circumstances change, so we can give you the right payment.

You need to tell us if there are changes to:

  • your personal and contact details
  • your bank details
  • your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separated
  • care arrangements for anyone in your care, including your children
  • your work status
  • your gender identity - gender updates are optional
  • your accommodation details - you do this using the accommodation details form
  • your living arrangements if you are single and start sharing your accommodation with anyone other than an immediate family member who is aged 16 years or older - you do this using the relationship details form

You also need to tell us if:

  • you're leaving the country, temporarily or permanently
  • you get a lump sum payment
  • your or your partners income or assets change
  • you have started or finished studying

Use self service to update many of these things yourself quickly and easily.

Information specific to payments

Some payments have additional information about what you need to do to tell us about changes in your circumstances. Read more about how a change in your circumstances will affect your payment if you receive:

Related information

Read more about:

Page last updated: 14 December 2016