Change of circumstances for Newstart Allowance

If you do not tell us when your circumstances change, you may be doing the wrong thing.

For example, not telling us if:

  • your personal circumstances change
  • you change your address
  • your income changes
  • you do not have to lodge a tax return
  • your care arrangements change, or
  • your work or study load changes

Doing the right thing is easy:

It is never too late to report a change. By telling us about any changes today, we can help make sure you receive the correct payment.

If you have received payments you are not eligible for, you may have to repay the amount plus a recovery fee. Having to repay a debt may be difficult but choosing not to tell us when your circumstances change could lead to far more serious consequences.

If you deliberately do not tell us when your circumstances change, you could be committing fraud.

Read more about how to avoid committing fraud.

You can continue getting Newstart Allowance if you get sick or have an accident and are temporarily unable to work. You will need to get a medical certificate from your doctor that states you are unfit to work at least 8 hours a week.

You will not have to meet the Mutual Obligation Requirements while you are unfit for work and have a medical certificate.

You may need to report this on a regular basis.

How to report your changes

You can report changes to your circumstances using our self service options.

Page last updated: 7 March 2017

This information was printed Sunday 30 April 2017 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.