Change of circumstances while receiving ABSTUDY

Tell us if things change as it may affect your payment.

Also tell us if your parents’ or guardians’, siblings’, or partner’s circumstances change.


Tell us if you:

  • change your course of study
  • study at a different institution
  • reduce your study or training workload
  • stop studying
  • stop being a full time Australian Apprentice
  • don’t start your course within the first 3 weeks


Tell us if you:

  • change your work hours - including starting or stopping work
  • change your income or assets
  • receive income from a source outside Australia
  • change jobs
  • get compensation, leave or redundancy payments
  • start or stop receiving other financial assistance to complete your course or apprenticeship


Tell us if:

  • you change your address or contact details
  • you move back to your parents' or guardians’ home
  • you marry or start living with your partner
  • you separate from your partner
  • you are sick or injured and can’t continue study
  • your dependent child or immediate family member dies
  • you have a child or take care of a child who is 16 or younger
  • you move into or out of long term care, like a nursing home or hostel
  • you are in lawful custody
  • you start or stop receiving a pension, benefit or allowance
  • your dependent child who is 16 or younger leaves home, or gets a pension, benefit or allowance
  • your dependent child is in custody on remand, in a psychiatric institution or in prison
  • you receive Rent Assistance and you:
    • stop paying rent, or the amount of rent you pay changes
    • start paying rent to a state, territory or Commonwealth Housing Authority
    • move in with your parent or guardian

Parents or guardians

Tell us if your parents or guardians:

  • change their address
  • get married or starts living with their partner
  • separate from their partner
  • income change
  • dependent child leaves their care or comes into their care
  • are or are no longer in custody, in a psychiatric institution, nursing home or similar institution
  • stop receiving Family Tax Benefit for your sibling


If your sibling is getting the dependent rate of Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY Living Allowance or means tested School Fees Allowance, Assistance for Isolated Children additional boarding allowance, or is 16 to 19 years old and in full time secondary study, you need to tell us if they:

  • become independent
  • move back to or away from your parents’ or guardians’ home
  • get a pension, benefit or allowance
  • stop full time study
  • start work or earn more income
  • change their work hours
  • leave Australia permanently
  • get an education allowance from an Australian Government department


Tell us if your partner:

  • starts or stops working
  • has income or assets change
  • is granted ABSTUDY, a pension, benefit or allowance
  • dies

If you don’t tell us about changes

Your payment may be affected if you don’t tell us about changes. If you don’t tell us, you might need to pay us back money we have paid you.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.

You can tell us about changes in circumstances through the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app or through your Centrelink online account though myGov.

Page last updated: 22 June 2016

This information was printed Monday 5 December 2016 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.