Change of circumstances while getting Carer Payment

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Carer Payment.

You must tell us if you:

  • stop providing care for the person or child
  • start sharing the care with someone else
  • marry, or start or stop living with your partner
  • start getting more income
  • increase your assets or your investments change
  • move house
  • go to live outside Australia
  • travel overseas for a holiday, or
  • start doing more work or study

You must tell us if the person you provide care for:

  • now needs less care
  • is now in someone else’s care
  • goes temporarily into respite care or is hospitalised
  • stops being a dependent child
  • starts getting support from the National Disability Insurance Scheme
  • goes to live outside Australia
  • travels overseas for a holiday, or
  • dies

How and when to tell us

You can tell us about your changes through our self service options.

You need to:

If you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about these changes, we may pay you too much. If this happens you will have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.

Read how to avoid fraud.

Page last updated: 8 March 2017

This information was printed Monday 1 May 2017 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.