Change of circumstances while receiving Family Tax Benefit

If you do not tell us when your circumstances change, you may be doing the wrong thing.

For example, not telling us if:

  • you change your address
  • you become partnered
  • you separate from your partner
  • your or your partner’s income changes
  • you do not have to lodge a tax return
  • your child care arrangements change
  • your child starts or stops full time primary or secondary study
  • your child leaves your care
  • your care arrangements change, or
  • your child passes away

Doing the right thing is easy:

It is never too late to report a change. By telling us about any changes today, we can help make sure you receive the correct payment.

If you have received payments you are not eligible for, you may have to repay the amount plus a recovery fee. Having to repay a debt may be difficult but choosing not to tell us when your circumstances change could lead to far more serious consequences. If you deliberately do not tell us when your circumstances change, you could be committing fraud.

Read more about how to avoid committing fraud.

Page last updated: 7 March 2017

This information was printed Wednesday 26 April 2017 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.