Change of circumstances while receiving Parenting Payment

If you do not tell us when your circumstances change, you may be doing the wrong thing.

For example, not telling us if:

  • your child stops living with you
  • another child comes into your care
  • your relationship changes and you become partnered
  • your relationship changes and you're no longer partnered
  • your personal circumstances change
  • you're getting child support payments and the amount changes
  • you change your address
  • your or your partner's income changes
  • you do not have to lodge a tax return
  • your care arrangements change, or
  • your work or study load changes

Doing the right thing is easy:

  • tell us about any changes to your circumstances within 14 days, and
  • regularly check that your information is up to date in your Centrelink online account through myGov

It is never too late to report a change. By telling us about any changes today, we can help make sure you receive the correct payment.

If you have received payments you're not eligible for, you may have to repay the amount plus a recovery fee may also be applied. Having to repay a debt may be difficult but choosing not to tell us when your circumstances change could lead to far more serious consequences.

If you deliberately do not tell us when your circumstances change, you could be committing fraud.

Read more about how to avoid committing fraud

Page last updated: 20 September 2016

This information was printed Sunday 26 February 2017 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.