Claiming Age Pension

To be paid Age Pension from the earliest possible date you must either lodge a claim for Age Pension in the 13 weeks prior to reaching age pension age or register an intent to claim on the day you first qualify for Age Pension.

Before you start

Check if you are eligible for Age Pension and read the Information you need to know about your claim for Age Pension and Pension Bonus booklet before you start.

If you are already receiving an eligible Centrelink income support payment when you approach age pension age, you may not have to complete a full claim form. We will write to you 9 weeks before you reach age pension age and explain the options available to transfer to Age Pension.

If you think you may be eligible, you should start your claim as soon as possible as this may affect the day your payment will start.

You may need to have some information ready about yourself and your partner, including:

You will also have to provide your:

  • bank account details, including your BSB number
  • tax file number if you haven’t already provided it, and
  • residence details, which may include when you or your partner became an Australian citizen, visa information, and dates you or your partner have lived in other countries

If you are outside Australia and wish to claim Age Pension, you should check if and how you can claim using an international social security agreement.

Claiming options

You can claim Age Pension online or by using a claim form.


Centrelink online accounts are a secure, convenient and easy way to start a claim for Age Pension. If you are outside Australia Centrelink online accounts may not be available to you if you were not registered before you left.

If you already have a Centrelink online account

You can log on to your Centrelink online account using your Customer Access Number (CAN) and password. Select Apply for a Payment then Make a Claim from the menu to start your claim.


If you do not have a Centrelink online account

If you have a Customer Reference Number (CRN) then you can complete your registration now.

If you do not have a CRN, visit your nearest service centre to provide your identity documents and receive a CRN.


Unable to claim online

If you are unable to claim online, you can call us on 132 300 or visit your nearest service centre for a personalised claim form and to register an intent to claim. This will help you get paid from the earliest possible date.

Our staff will ask you some questions to determine your circumstances and personalise your claim form. Contacting us before you claim will simplify the claim process for you and means that you may only have to provide minimal information.

Alternatively, print and complete the:

Supporting documentation

You may need to complete some additional forms to help us assess your claim. These will be based on your and your partner's personal circumstances.

You can submit most supporting documentation online, or using your Express Plus mobile app except identity documents. If you have not previously confirmed your identity with us you may need to visit your nearest service centre with your confirmation of identity documents.

Please return these within 14 days or contact us for more time.

If you Complete this form
are permanently blind Request for ophthalmologist/optometrist report
are self-employed or involved in a business Business details
are involved in a private company Private company details
are involved in a private trust Private trust details
have received compensation or damages Compensation and Damages
want to have another person to act on your behalf Authorising a person or organisation to enquire or act on your behalf

Submit your claim

Most people have their funds paid directly into their bank account. Make sure you register your bank details when you submit your claim so you can too.

Submit your completed forms and details of your and your partner’s income and assets and any other documents we have asked for by post or to your nearest service centre.

Claim outcome

We will tell you whether your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Age Pension, we will tell you when your payment will start and how much you will get paid.

You always have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Comparable foreign payment

If you and your partner, even if they are not claiming a payment from us, have lived or worked outside Australia, we may contact you and ask you to apply for a pension from that country and advise us of the outcome.

Page last updated: 22 June 2016