Claiming Bereavement Allowance
How to submit your claim for Bereavement Allowance after your partner’s death.
Before you start
Check if you are eligible for this payment. Read the information you need to know about your claim for Bereavement Allowance before you start your claim.
Intent to claim
To be paid Bereavement Allowance from the earliest possible date you should register an intent to claim.
If you register your intent to claim:
- within 4 weeks of your partner's death - you can be paid from the date they died
- after 4 weeks but within 14 weeks of your partner's death - you can be paid from the date you registered your intent to claim
Print and complete the Claim for Bereavement Allowance form.
You may need to provide some other documents to support your claim including:
- a completed income and assets form
- confirmation of identity documents
- proof of your Australian residence status
- an Income Stream Schedule from your provider for any income stream payments you may receive
- proof that you were a member of a couple
- bank details
Submit your claim
We will tell you if your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Bereavement Allowance, we will let you know when your payment will start and how much you will get paid.
You always have the right to appeal any decision we make.
Read more about reviews and appeals.