Claiming Carer Allowance
To be paid Carer Allowance from the earliest possible date you should register an intent to claim and then submit your claim within 14 days.
Before you start
Check if you are eligible for Carer Allowance and read the information you need to know about your claim for Carer Allowance before you start your claim.
Intent to claim
You should register an intent to claim for Carer Allowance. You should then submit your claim for Carer Allowance within 14 days so that we can pay you from the earliest possible date.
You can claim Carer Allowance using a claim form.
In some circumstances, previously supplied information may be used again so you may not need to provide a new Medical Report. Contact us to start your claim and find out what information is required.
To access a personalised Carer Allowance claim form, you can:
- call us on 132 717, or
- visit your nearest service centre
Our staff will ask you some questions to determine your circumstances and personalise your claim form. Contacting us will ensure you only have to provide minimal information and will simplify the claim process for you.
In some circumstances previously supplied documentation, such as Medical Reports, may be used again in the assessment of a new claim.
We recommend you contact us on 132 717 or visit your nearest service centre to see what supporting documents your claim needs.
You may need to complete a:
- Carer Payment and/or Carer Allowance - Medical Report for a person 16 years or over form (SA332A)
- Carer Payment and Carer Allowance - Medical Report for a child under 16 years form (SA431)
- Carer Allowance Questionnaire - Carer not living with the person for whom care is being provided
- Medical Certificate for Carer Payment (For a child under 16 years) Extension and Reclaim of Episodic Care/Extension of Short Term Care form (SA395)
Submit your claim
If you do not need to provide any proof of identity documents, you can submit your claim form using the Reply Paid envelope included with the claim form.
We will let you know the outcome of your claim. If you are eligible for payment of Carer Allowance, we will tell you when your payment will start and how much you will get paid.
You have the right to appeal any decision we make.
Read more about reviews and appeals.