Claiming Carer Payment

The easiest way to claim Carer Payment is online. When you claim, we will ask you for information to assess if you are eligible.

Before you start

Check if you are eligible for Carer Payment before you start your claim. Read the information you need to know about your claim for Carer Payment and Carer Allowance.

Before you start your claim you will need your:

  • income and assets details
  • bank account details
  • tax file number

If you have a partner you’ll also need to provide their income and assets details.

Start your claim

You can claim Carer Payment, Carer Allowance or both online. You must have a Centrelink online account to claim online.

You don’t need to finish your online claim in 1 session. Your Centrelink online account saves your progress so you can come back to finish it later.

The started claim will be saved for 13 weeks. After that, you will have to start again

If you already have a Centrelink online account


If you do not have a Centrelink online account


Unable to claim online

If you can’t claim online, for example you don’t have internet access, you can:

Advise us of your intent to claim so that we can backdate your payment where possible.

Submit your claim with supporting documents

We’ll ask you for more information if we need it. Provide this to us within 14 days of starting the claim and submit it along with your claim to be paid from the earliest date you are eligible. If you submit supporting documents after 14 days, your payment may start later.

You may be able to submit your documents online. However, you may be required to provide your identity documents in person.

If you’re using a paper form, submit your claim form and supporting documents by post or to a service centre. We may ask for more information if we need it.

Sometimes we use documents you have already given us, such as medical reports.

Claim outcome

We will tell you:

  • if you’re eligible
  • when your payment starts
  • how much you’ll get

If you claimed online, you can track its progress online. Just sign in to your Centrelink online account through myGov or to the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app to use the Claim Tracker. It will estimate a completion date and tell you if your claim is on hold.

You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 7 March 2017