Claiming a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

You can claim a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card once you’ve reached age pension age.

Before you start

You should:

The card will only cover one person. If you have a partner and you’re both eligible, your partner will need to submit a separate online claim or you can both claim using the same paper claim form.

Information you need for your claim

  • your and your partner’s income
  • documents to confirm your identity
  • documents to confirm your residence

When to claim

You can claim once you reach age pension age.

Start your claim

You can claim online or by completing a form.

Start your claim online

If you already have a Centrelink online account

Log on to your Centrelink online account or sign in through myGov to make an online claim.


If you don't have a Centrelink online account

If you’ve been a Centrelink customer before you will have a Customer Reference Number. Use this to register for an online account.

A Centrelink customer is anyone who’s had a payment or concession from us before, no matter how long ago.

If you haven’t been a Centrelink customer before, visit a service centre and tell us you want to register for an online account. You’ll get a Customer Access Number to get you started.

You need to bring photo ID with you.

If you can’t claim online

Print out the Claim for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card form and fill it in.

Or, you can reclaim your card if we cancelled it less than 26 weeks ago. Print out the re-claim for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card form and fill it in.

If you can’t use the website, call the Older Australians line and ask us to send you the form. Or, go to a service centre to get one.

Submit your claim

You need to give us:

  • your claim form
  • any other documents we’ve asked for

You can do this online or at a service centre.

Submit other documents

We may ask you for documents to help us assess your claim.

You can submit some of these through your online account when you claim.

If we ask you to confirm your identity, you’ll need to do this at a service centre.

Wait for the results

We’ll tell you if we accept your claim. If eligible, we’ll post your card to you.

You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 11 April 2017