Claiming Crisis Payment

You must notify us or submit your claim within 7 days of the event that has caused your hardship.

Before you start

Check if you are eligible for this payment before you start.

Intent to claim

You should register an intent to claim for Crisis Payment. This will help you get paid from the earliest possible date.

Claiming options

You can claim Crisis Payment by completing the appropriate claim form for your situation:

If you are going to be released from prison, and have been contacted by a Prison Liaison Officer, then you do not need to complete any of these claim forms. The Prison Liaison Officer will assist you with claiming prior to your release.

If you do not have access to a printer, you can pick up a form from a service centre or call the Help in an emergency line and we can send one to you.

Supporting documents

You may need to provide some other documents to support your claim including:

Submit your claim

Submit your completed claim form and any supporting documents within 7 days of the event that has caused your crisis. If the supporting documentation cannot be provided at this time, you should submit the claim form as soon as possible and provide the supporting documents when they are available.


Submit your claim form and supporting documents electronically using your Centrelink online account through myGov. Confirmation of identity documents cannot be submitted online.

Read more about submitting your documents online.


Post your completed claim form and supporting documentation to:

Department of Human Services
Reply Paid 7800
Canberra BC ACT 2610

In person

Submit your completed claim form and supporting documentation in person at a service centre.

Claim outcome

We will tell you if your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Crisis Payment, we will let you know when your payment will start and how much you will get paid.

You always have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 8 September 2016