Claiming Disability Support Pension

You should submit your claim for Disability Support Pension as soon as possible.


You should contact us to discuss claiming Disability Support Pension as soon as possible.

You can do this by phone or in person at your nearest service centre.

Claim forms

Print and complete the claim forms that best suit your circumstances.

If you do not have access to a printer, call us on 132 717 and we can send the appropriate forms to you.

If you want to Forms
claim Disability Support Pension

re-claim Disability Support Pension, if you received it in the past year and you have been:

  • in prison
  • employed
  • outside Australia
SS424 - Payment Re-claim

Supporting forms and documentation

You may need to complete some additional forms. This will help us accurately assess your claim, based on your and your partner's personal circumstances. Please return these within 14 days or contact us for more time.

Medical evidence

Your medical condition must be fully diagnosed, treated and stabilised to be assessed for Disability Support Pension. You will be required to provide specific medical evidence to help us understand how your medical condition impacts your ability to work.

Read more about medical evidence and assessment.

Other forms and documentation

If you Complete this form
have evidence that you have actively participated in a Program of Support Participation in a Program of Support
are self employed or involved in a business MOD F - Business Details
have involvement in a private company MOD PC - Private Company details
have involvement in a private trust MOD PT - Private Trust details
are permanently blind SA013 - Request for Ophthalmologist/Optometrist Report
are a resident in Australia or another country MOD O - Residence in Australia and other countries
have separated from your partner since you last claimed a payment or service MOD S - Separation details
are under 18 and it is unreasonable for you to live at home MOD Y - Unreasonable to live at home details
have received compensation or damages MOC C - Compensation and Damages
have recently left your employment SU001 - Employment Separation Certificate
want another person to act on your behalf SS313 - Authorising a person or organisation to enquire or act on your behalf

If you are in psychiatric confinement, the institution should complete a customer in psychiatric confinement form.

Submit your claim

Return your completed forms, identity documents, medical evidence and any other documents we have asked for either:

  • by post to:
    Department of Human Services
    Disability Services
    Reply Paid, 7806
    Canberra BC ACT 2610
  • in person at your nearest service centre

We will sight and record your documents, which may include copying and return the originals to you.

We will use these documents as part of the assessment process to determine your eligibility for payment. You may need to attend an assessment with a Job Capacity Assessor and Government contracted doctor. We will advise you of what you need to do next.

Claim outcome

We will inform you whether your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Disability Support Pension, we will tell you when your payment will start and how much you will be paid.

You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 4 January 2017