Claiming Double Orphan Pension

You should submit your claim for Double Orphan Pension as soon as possible.

Before you start

Check if you are eligible for this payment.

Intent to claim

You should register an intent to claim for Double Orphan Pension. A family member or friend can call us on your behalf to register an intent to claim. This will help you get paid from the earliest possible date.

If you haven’t claimed Family Tax Benefit for the child, you must have your eligibility assessed by submitting a claim for Family Tax Benefit. You can claim up to 3 months before the child enters your care.

Claim form

Print and complete the Double Orphan Pension claim form.

If you don’t have access to a printer, you can pick up the form from a service centre or call the Families line and we can send one to you.

Supporting documents

Depending on your responses in your claim form, you may need to provide:

  • proof of your and your partner’s Australian residency
  • proof of the child’s birth
  • documents which confirm the child’s date of birth and refugee status
  • a copy of legal or other documents to support the change of care
  • a copy of the parenting plan or court order
  • documents which confirm the identity of the child, and
  • documents which confirm the date of death of the child’s parent or parents

Confirmation of identity documents may be required.

Submit your claim

You should submit your completed Double Orphan Pension claim form and supporting documents within 14 days of registering your intent to claim. You can submit your claim:

Using the Document Lodgement Service

Submit your claim form and some supporting documents online. This can be accessed on your Centrelink online account through myGov or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

Start your claim online

If you already have a myGov account

Sign in to myGov to link to your Centrelink online account and do your Centrelink business.

Sign in to myGov

If you have a Centrelink online account

To do your business online, you need a myGov account and a Centrelink online account.

If you don't have a myGov account, create one today. Once you have created your account, you can link it to your Centrelink online account. Watch the video and read more on how to link your online account to myGov.

Create a myGov account

If you don't have a Centrelink online account

If you’ve been a Centrelink customer before

You’ll have a Customer Reference Number. Use this to register for an online account.

This is anyone who’s had a payment or concession from us before, no matter how long ago.

If you haven’t been a Centrelink customer before

Visit a service centre and tell us you want to register for an online account. You’ll need to bring photo ID with you.

This is anyone who’s never had a payment or concession from us before.


By post

Post your form and supporting documents to:

Department of Human Services
Reply paid 7802
Canberra BC ACT 2610

In person

Submit your form and supporting documents in person at a service centre.

Claim outcome

We will tell you if your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Double Orphan Pension, we will let you know when your payment will start and how much you will get paid.

You always have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.

We’re testing a new website design. Try it out and tell us what you think. Read more about changes to this site.

Page last updated: 9 June 2017