Claiming a Health Care Card
If you are receiving an eligible payment, you will automatically receive a Health Care Card. We will automatically send you a new card when it is due for renewal, if you are still eligible.
Before you start
Check if you are eligible for a Health Care Card and read the information you need to know about your claim for a Health Care Card form before you start your claim.
You need to submit a claim if you are:
- a foster carer - you can claim the Foster Child Health Care Card with Family Tax Benefit or submit a separate claim
- a low income earner and are applying for a Low Income Health Care Card, or
- applying for an Ex-Carer Allowance (child) Health Care Card
Students and Australian Apprentices
If you are a student or Australian Apprentice and receive Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY or Austudy, you will not receive a Health Care Card but may still qualify for a Low Income Health Care Card. Call the Students and trainees line to claim a Low Income Health Care Card.
Intent to claim
Register an intent to claim for a Low Income Health Care Card, Foster Child Health Care Card and Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card if you are unable to claim online. This means you will get your card from the earliest possible date.
If you do not have a Centrelink online account
If you have a Customer Reference Number (CRN) then you can complete your registration now.
- Claim for a Health Care Card form if you are claiming a Low Income Health Care Card or a Health Care Card for a foster child
- Application for a Health Care Card for former recipients of a Carer Allowance Health Card form if you are claiming the Ex-carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card
If you do not have access to a printer, you can pick one up from a service centre.
You may need to provide some other documents to support your claim, including:
- details of your and your partner's income and assets if applying for the Low Income Health Care Card, and
- any other documents and forms we may ask you for
Submit your claim
If you are claiming online, you can submit your claim and most supporting documents electronically at the end of the process.
Read more about submitting your documents online.
Submit your form and supporting documents at a service centre. We will need these documents before we can finalise your claim.
You are also able to submit your supporting documents by post to:Reply Paid 7802
Canberra BC ACT 2610
You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.