Claiming the Low Income Health Care Card
The easiest way to claim the Low Income Health Care Card is online.
Before you start
- check if you’re eligible for a Low Income Health Care Card
- read What you need to know about your claim for a Low Income Health Care Card
- set up a Centrelink online account so you can claim online - you don’t need to do this if you already have one
- confirm your identity with us if you haven’t done this before
Documents you might need
The claim form tells you if you need to give us extra documents.
We might ask for:
- proof of your and your partner’s income
- other documents that prove what you say in your claim
- documents to confirm your identity if you haven’t done this before
Start your claim
It’s best to start your claim online or at a service centre.
Start your claim online
If you already have a myGov account
Sign in to myGov to link to your Centrelink online account and do your Centrelink business.
If you have a Centrelink online account
To do your business online, you need a myGov account and a Centrelink online account.
If you don't have a myGov account, create one today. Once you have created your account, you can link it to your Centrelink online account. Watch the video and read more on how to link your online account to myGov.
If you don't have a Centrelink online account
If you’ve been a Centrelink customer before
You’ll have a Customer Reference Number. Use this to register for an online account.
This is anyone who’s had a payment or concession from us before, no matter how long ago.
If you haven’t been a Centrelink customer before
This is anyone who’s never had a payment or concession from us before.
If you can’t claim online
You can fill in a paper form.
Print the Claim for a Health Care Card form.
If you can’t do this, either:
- go to a service centre and ask for the form
- call us on:
If your partner also wants a Low Income Health Care Card you can both claim on the same paper form.
Submit your claim
You need to give us:
- your claim form
- any other documents we’ve asked for
If there are any documents you can’t submit online, take them to a service centre.
Wait for the result
If we accept your claim, we’ll post your card to you.
You can appeal our decision on your claim. Read about reviews and appeals.