Claiming the Low Income Health Care Card
The easiest way to claim the Low Income Health Care Card is online.
Before you start
- check if you’re eligible for a Low Income Health Care Card
- read What you need to know about your claim for a Low Income Health Care Card
- set up a Centrelink online account so you can claim online - you don’t need to do this if you already have one
- confirm your identity with us if you haven’t done this before
Documents you might need
The claim form tells you if you need to give us extra documents.
We might ask for:
- proof of your and your partner’s income
- other documents that prove what you say in your claim
- documents to confirm your identity if you haven’t done this before
Start your claim
The easiest way to claim is online.
Start your claim online
If your partner also wants a Low Income Health Care Card they need to do their own online claim.
If you already have a Centrelink online account
Log on to your account with your Customer Access Number and password.
If you don't have a Centrelink online account
If you’ve been a Centrelink customer before you will have a Customer Reference Number. Use this to register for an online account.
A Centrelink customer is anyone who’s had a payment or concession from us before, no matter how long ago.
If you haven’t been a Centrelink customer before, visit a service centre and tell us you want to register for an online account. You’ll get a Customer Access Number to get you started.
You need to bring photo ID with you.
If you can’t claim online
You can fill in a paper form.
Print the Claim for a Health Care Card form.
If you can’t do this, either:
- go to a service centre and ask for the form
- call us on:
If your partner also wants a Low Income Health Care Card you can both claim on the same paper form.
Submit your claim
You need to give us:
- your claim form
- any other documents we’ve asked for
If there are any documents you can’t submit online, take them to a service centre.
Wait for the result
If we accept your claim, we’ll post your card to you.
You can appeal our decision on your claim. Read about reviews and appeals.