Claiming Newstart Allowance

To begin your claim, you must register an intent to claim for Newstart Allowance.

Before you start

Check if you are eligible for this payment and read the information you need to know about your claim for Newstart Allowance or Widow Allowance before you start your claim.

You will need to have an active Centrelink online account to claim Newstart Allowance online.

If you have never been a Centrelink customer you will need to visit your nearest service centre to register.  You need to bring photo identification with you. We will help you register for a Centrelink online account.

Anyone who has previously received a payment or concession from us is considered a Centrelink customer. It does not matter how long ago this was - you can still register for a Centrelink online account and link it to your myGov account.

Until you register and have an active Centrelink online account, you will not be able to make a claim online.

You will need to have information about your and your partner's income and assets, and your bank account and tax file numbers handy.

Claiming early

We can only pay you from the date you are considered eligible. However, you can submit your claim for Newstart Allowance before your last day of work. To make an early claim for Newstart Allowance, visit your nearest service centre.

Begin your claim

If you already have a Centrelink online account

You can log on to your Centrelink online account using your Customer Access Number (CAN) and password.


If you do not have a Centrelink online account

If you have a Customer Reference Number (CRN) you can complete your registration now.

If you do not have a CRN you will receive a Customer Access Number (CAN) to get you started.


Unable to claim online

If you cannot claim online, you can call us, visit your nearest service centre or complete the Preliminary claim for Newstart Allowance, Youth Allowance, or Parenting Payment form to start your claim. We will then tell you if we need any further information or documentation to assess your claim.

Supporting forms and documentation

You may need to complete some additional forms to help us assess your claim accurately, based on your and your partner's personal circumstances.

You can electronically upload some of these supporting documents using our Document Lodgement Service within the online claim.

If we ask you to provide other documents and forms, you will need to submit these within 14 days. The sooner we receive your documents, the sooner we can work out your entitlement.

If you have worked in the last 12 months, we will also ask you for an Employment Separation Certificate form, which needs to be filled out by your employer.

Submit your claim

If you are claiming online, you will submit your claim electronically at the end of the process.

Make sure you finish your claim. Submit it and your supporting documentation within 14 days of starting an online claim, so we can backdate your payments to this date.

Book an appointment

If you are claiming online, you will need to make an online booking for an appointment to assess your Mutual Obligation Requirements. We will call you at the time and date you select. This appointment must be booked within 14 days of submitting your claim.

Claim outcome

We will let you know if your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Newstart Allowance, we will let you know when your payment will start and how much you will get paid.

You have the right to appeal any decision we make.

Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 12 August 2016