Claiming Parenting Payment

The process to claim Parenting Payment.

Before you start

Check if you're eligible for this payment before you start your claim and read the information you need to know about your claim for Parenting Payment.

You'll need to have an active Centrelink online account to claim Parenting Payment online.

If you have never been a Centrelink customer you'll need to visit a service centre to register. You need to bring photo identification with you. We will help you register for a Centrelink online account.

Anyone who has previously received a payment or concession from us is considered a Centrelink customer. It does not matter how long ago this was - you can still register for a Centrelink online account and link it to your myGov account.

Until you register and have an active Centrelink online account, you'll not be able to make a claim online.

During the claim process you’ll need to answer questions about your circumstances. You’ll need to provide information about income, assets and personal information about you and your partner, if you have one. You’ll also need to have your bank account and tax file numbers handy.

Claiming early

It’s not possible to submit an early claim for Parenting Payment in expectation of the birth of your child.

If eligible, we will pay you from the date:

  • you submit you claim, or
  • you register an intent to claim and submit your claim within 14 days, or
  • your child was born or an eligible child comes into your care if your claim is submitted within 4 weeks

Begin your claim

If you already have a Centrelink online account

If you have your Customer Reference Number (CRN), you can complete your registration for an online account now.


If you do not have a Centrelink online account

If you don't have a CRN, visit a service centre to provide your identity documents, receive a CRN, and register for an online account.

Unable to claim online

If you can't claim online, complete the claim for Parenting Payment form.

If you don't have access to a printer, you can call us and we'll send you one or visit a service centre.

We will then tell you if we need any further information or documentation to assess your claim.

Submit your claim

Make sure you finish and submit your online claim within 14 days of starting it. Your payment may be backdated to this date if you’re eligible.

If you're submitting your claim over the phone or in person, we will tell you if we need any further information or documentation to assess your claim.

If you’re partnered, your partner should also complete the partner details - Parenting Payment partnered form.

Supporting forms and documentation

You may need to complete additional forms, or supply supporting documents to help us assess your claim accurately, depending on your and your partner’s personal circumstances.

If you're claiming online some of your supporting documents can be submitted online. Read more about submitting documents online.

You cannot use this function to submit confirmation of identity documents. Original confirmation of identity documents must be submitted in person at a service centre.

If we ask for other documents and forms, you'll need to submit these within 14 days or your claim may be rejected. The sooner we receive your documents, the sooner we can work out your entitlement.

Claim outcome

If you're eligible for Parenting Payment, we'll let you know when your payment will start and how much you'll get paid.

If you’re registered for Centrelink letters online, you’ll receive a notification through your Centrelink online account.

You have the right to appeal any decision we make.

Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 14 December 2016