Claiming Parenting Payment
The process to claim Parenting Payment.
Before you start
- check if you’re eligible for Parenting Payment
- read the information you need to know about your claim for Parenting Payment
- set up a Centrelink online account so you can claim online – if you already have an account and it’s still active you won’t need to start a new one
- find the information you need for your claim
Information you need for your claim
- your and your partner’s income and assets
- your bank account name, number and BSB number
- your tax file number
When to claim
You can claim Parenting Payment after the birth of your child.
If eligible, we’ll pay you from the date:
- you submit your claim
- you register an intent to claim if you then submit your claim within 14 days, or
- your child was born or an eligible child comes into your care if you submit your claim within 4 weeks
You can’t submit a claim for Parenting Payment before the birth of your child.
Start your claim
It’s best to start your claim online. You can save your online application to finish and submit it within 14 days. If you take longer than 14 days, you may have to start the claim process again.
Start your claim online
If you don't have a Centrelink online account
If you’ve been a Centrelink customer before you’ll have a Customer Reference Number. Use this to register for an online account.
A Centrelink customer is anyone who’s had a payment or concession from us before, no matter how long ago.
If you haven’t been a Centrelink customer before, visit a service centre and tell us you want to register for an online account. We'll give you a Customer Access Number to get you started.
You need to bring photo ID with you.
If you can't claim online
Complete the claim for Parenting Payment form.
Submit your claim
You need to give us:
- your claim form
- any other documents we’ve asked for
Submit your form and other documents within 14 days after you start your online claim. If you do this, we can pay you from the day you started your claim. If you submit your claim within 4 weeks of giving birth or a child coming into your care, we can backdate your payments.
Submit other documents
We may ask you for documents to help us assess your claim.
You can submit some of these through your online account when you claim.
You must submit supporting documents and forms within 14 days. We may reject your claim if you don't.
Wait for the result
We’ll tell you:
- if we accept your claim or not
- when we’ll start paying you - there are different waiting times for Parenting Payment that may apply to you
- how much you’ll get
You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read about reviews and appeals.