Claiming Special Benefit

You should submit your claim for Special Benefit as soon as possible.

Before you start

Check if you are eligible for Special Benefit before you start your claim.

Intent to claim

You should register an intent to claim for Special Benefit. This will help you get paid from the earliest possible date.

Claiming options

You can claim Special Benefit in person at a service centre.

Print and complete a Claim for Special Benefit form.

If you do not have access to a printer, you can pick up a form from a service centre or call the Help in an emergency lines and we can send you one.

Supporting documents

You may need to provide some other documents to support your claim including details of your and your partner's income and assets and confirmation of identity documents.

If you Complete this form
earn an income or have assets Income and Assets form
have a partner Partner Details form
are receiving child support or maintenance Details of your child support form
currently pay rent where you live Rent Certificate
own your own home, property, or any other real estate Real Estate form
are studying, intend to study, or have stopped studying Study details form
have parents or guardians you are dependent on Parent or guardian details for the Base Tax Year and Current Tax Year for Dependent Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY Customers form
have additional income and assets Additional Income and Assets form
have involvement in a private company Private Company form
have involvement in a private trust Private Trust form
have separated from your partner since you last claimed a payment or service Separation details form
are unable to live at home Unreasonable to live at home form
have ceased work within the last 12 months Employment Separation Certificate form
have undertaken seasonal, contract or intermittent work in the last 6 months Seasonal, Contract and Intermittent Work Details form
have been involved in a Special Disability Trust Special Disability Trust form
are over 18 years of age and it is unreasonable for you to live at home with your parents

Submit your claim

Submit your completed forms and supporting documents at a service centre within 14 days of telling us your intent to claim.

Claim outcome

We will tell you if your claim is successful.

If you are eligible for Special Benefit, we will let you know when your payment will start and how much you will get paid. After your payments begin, we will regularly review your Special Benefit, usually every 3 months. These reviews are compulsory for all Special Benefit customers.

You always have the right to appeal any decision we make.

Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 12 April 2017