Claiming Stillborn Baby Payment
You have up to 52 weeks starting on your baby’s date of birth to make a claim.
Before you start
Check if you’re eligible for this payment before you start your claim.
If you’re unable to submit your claim within 52 weeks after the birth of your baby, we may extend the period if there was severe illness associated with the birth or when a claim for Parental Leave Pay has been rejected.
Have the following information handy before you complete your claim for Stillborn Baby Payment:
- Centrelink Reference Numbers for you and your partner, if applicable
- passport numbers for you and your partner, if applicable
- the date you or your partner first arrived in Australia if you were not born in Australia
- details of periods you were outside Australia, if applicable
- your bank account details
- tax file numbers for you and your partner
- details about the hospital where your baby was delivered
- income details for you and your partner
You don’t need to register the birth with the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state or territory.
You can claim Stillborn Baby Payment online or using a form.
Start your claim online
If you already have a myGov account
Sign in to myGov to link to your Centrelink online account and do your Centrelink business.
If you have a Centrelink online account
To do your business online, you need a myGov account and a Centrelink online account.
If you don't have a myGov account, create one today. Once you have created your account, you can link it to your Centrelink online account. Watch the video and read more on how to link your online account to myGov.
If you don't have a Centrelink online account
If you’ve been a Centrelink customer before
You’ll have a Customer Reference Number. Use this to register for an online account.
This is anyone who’s had a payment or concession from us before, no matter how long ago.
If you haven’t been a Centrelink customer before
This is anyone who’s never had a payment or concession from us before.
If you are unable to claim online
You can claim Stillborn Baby Payment using a claim form.
Complete the Claim for Bereavement Payment form the hospital or registered midwife gave you. If you haven’t received a form, print a Claim and Notes for Bereavement Payment form.
If you complete the entire form, you don’t need to submit a claim online.
You may need to provide some other documents to support your claim, such as:
- the Proof of Birth declaration on the back of the Claim for Bereavement Payment form – this must be completed by the attending Doctor or Midwife
- a letter from the attending Doctor or Midwife that verifies the mother’s full name and the baby's gender, date of birth, place of birth, weight and gestation period
- Income details
Submit your claim
If you’re claiming online, you can submit most supporting documents electronically at the end of the process.
Read more about submitting your documents online.
Submit your form and supporting documents by post or in person at a service centre.
We’ll tell you if your claim is successful. If you’re eligible for Stillborn Baby Payment, we’ll let you know when you’ll get your payment and how much you’ll be paid.
You always have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.