We're changing our website design on 27 August 2017.

Dad and Partner Pay while travelling outside Australia

There are rules about whether your Dad and Partner Pay can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

Rules for Dad and Partner Pay outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country or your child leaves your care, your Dad and Partner Pay will stop.

If you are an Australian citizen or hold a permanent visa or special category visa and you leave Australia temporarily, as long as you remain qualified you will continue to receive your full instalment of Dad and Partner Pay.

You may be eligible to receive your full instalment of Dad and Partner Pay outside Australia if you hold one of the following visas:

  • a Partner Provisional visa subclass 309 or visa subclass 820
  • a Safe Haven Enterprise visa subclass 790 or
  • a Temporary Protection visa subclass 785 issued on or after 16 December 2014

and you have left Australia temporarily, for one of the following approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis, for example to visit a family member who is critically ill
  • for humanitarian reasons, for example to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings, or
  • to receive eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia

Most temporary protection type visa holders cannot be paid Dad and Partner Pay outside Australia for any reason.

If you leave Australia and your Dad and Partner Pay stops even for 1 day, it cannot be restarted when you return to Australia.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if you are leaving Australia and you:

  • are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks
  • have not been back in Australia for 6 weeks since your last return, or
  • hold a partner provisional visa or temporary protection type visa

Otherwise you do not need to tell us that you are leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected. You may need to phone us to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

We’re testing a new website design. Try it out and tell us what you think. Read more about changes to this site.

Page last updated: 17 February 2017

This information was printed Tuesday 22 August 2017 from humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/dad-and-partner-pay-while-travelling-outside-australia It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at humanservices.gov.au/siteinformation when using this material.