Disability Medical Assessment for DSP
You may need to attend a Disability Medical Assessment for a Disability Support Pension (DSP) claim or medical review.
If you’ve had a Job Capacity Assessment, you may also need to attend a Disability Medical Assessment with a Government-contracted Doctor.
The Government-contracted Doctor will assess your medical evidence to help us decide if you’re medically eligible for DSP.
All our Government-contracted Doctors are qualified and trained to do assessments. They may contact your own doctor or specialist for more information.
Sonic HealthPlus conduct the assessments. There is no charge for this service. Allow up to an hour for your assessment.
If you need to attend an assessment, Sonic HealthPlus will contact you to make an appointment.
If you don’t attend your appointment, we may:
- reject your claim
- cancel your DSP, or
- stop your DSP until you attend
If you can’t attend your appointment, you must tell Sonic HealthPlus no later than 24 hours before the appointment.
If you need to discuss your appointment after you’ve booked it, call the Sonic HealthPlus Disability Medical Assessment Contact Centre on 1300 295 822. They are open from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday.
What to bring
When you attend your appointment bring:
- any new medical evidence you haven’t already given us
- aids, equipment or assistive technology you use, such as hearing or visual aids
- a relative, friend or an advocate for support, if you want
You don’t need to bring any information you’ve already provided to us for your claim or review.
At your appointment
The Government-contracted Doctor will talk to you about:
- your condition and medical evidence
- the impact of your condition on your day to day life
- diagnose your condition, or
- provide any medical advice or treatment
After your assessment
The Government-contracted Doctor will:
- write a report about the impact of your condition, and
- send the report to us
You have the right to have your personal information kept private. The Government-contracted Doctor must protect your privacy and keep your information safe.