Eligibility for Dad and Partner Pay

If you are an eligible working dad or partner, you can get up to 2 weeks of government funded pay based on the rate of the national minimum wage when you are on unpaid leave from work or are not working.


To be eligible for Dad and Partner Pay, you need to meet a set of conditions. You need to be either the:

  • biological father of the child
  • partner of the birth mother
  • adopting parent
  • partner of the adopting parent
  • parent in a surrogacy arrangement
  • partner of a parent in a surrogacy arrangement, or
  • same-sex partner of:
    • the birth mother
    • biological father, or
    • the adopting parent

And you must:

  • be able to meet residence requirements
  • provide care for a newborn or recently adopted child
  • have an individual adjusted taxable income of $150,000 or less in the financial year either before the date of your claim or the date your Dad and Partner Pay period starts, whichever is earlier
  • meet the work test, which requires you to have worked for:
    • at least 10 of the 13 months before the date your Dad and Partner Pay period starts, and
    • at least 330 hours in that 10 month period, - which is just over a day a week, with no continuous gap of longer than 8 weeks between 2 working days, and
  • be on unpaid leave or not working during your Dad and Partner Pay period

Your Dad and Partner Pay period is the time you take off work and receive Dad and Partner Pay. This can be up to 2 weeks or it could be a shorter period. For example, you could claim Dad and Partner Pay for 1 week or even 1 day. Your Dad and Partner Pay period must be taken in 1 continuous block.

Your employer may choose to pay you a top up payment to supplement your Dad and Partner Pay. For example, they may pay the difference between your Dad and Partner Pay and your normal wage. This will not affect your eligibility. A top up payment is not considered paid leave for the purposes of Dad and Partner Pay eligibility.

If you are the birth mother, you are not eligible for Dad and Partner Pay but you may be eligible for Parental Leave Pay, or the Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement.

The birth mother does not need to receive Parental Leave Pay for the father or partner to get Dad and Partner Pay.

In the case of a multiple birth or adoption, for example twins, Dad and Partner Pay can only be paid once.

In the case of a stillbirth or infant death, you may still be eligible for Dad and Partner Pay or Stillborn Baby Payment. Read more about bereavement payments or call us on 136 150.

Page last updated: 28 January 2016

This information was printed Wednesday 4 May 2016 from humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/eligibility-dad-and-partner-pay It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at humanservices.gov.au/siteinformation when using this material.