Eligibility for Mobility Allowance

You may be eligible for Mobility Allowance

To be eligible for Mobility Allowance, you must:

  • be 16 years or older
  • meet residence requirements
  • be unable to use public transport without substantial assistance because of disability, illness, or injury
  • provide a medical report from your doctor confirming you cannot use public transport
  • travel to and from home for paid work, voluntary work, study or training, or to look for work

If there is no public transport where you live, you may still qualify for Mobility Allowance. Voluntary work must be for a charitable, welfare or community organisation. Study or training can include secondary school, tertiary studies, trade and vocational courses.

You cannot get Mobility Allowance if you are receiving a funded package of support from the National Disability Insurance Scheme. You may still be eligible for a Health Care Card if your Mobility Allowance was stopped because you started as a participant in the National Disability Insurance Scheme.

Page last updated: 1 August 2016