Funeral expenses for a dependant
If you are eligible you can apply for the early release of your superannuation benefits for a dependant’s funeral expenses.
You may be eligible for the early release of superannuation for a dependant’s funeral expenses if:
- a dependant has passed away
- you need assistance paying funeral expenses, and
- you can’t afford the expenses without accessing your superannuation
You will not be eligible for an early release of superannuation for a dependant’s funeral expenses if:
- you are applying for funeral expenses for someone who was not a dependent
- your dependent’s funeral has taken place and has been paid for, or
- you are applying for your own funeral plan
Dependant’s funeral expenses
You need to provide proof that a dependent has passed away. This can be done by providing:
- a copy of your dependant’s death certificate, or
- a letter from your dependant’s medical practitioner confirming they have passed away
The letter from the medical practitioner needs to:
- be on their letterhead
- clearly show their qualifications
- be signed and dated, and
- be no more than 6 months old when submitted
Evidence of dependency
Read more about who is considered a dependent and evidence needed if you are applying for an early release of superannuation to meet expenses for a dependant.
Quotes or unpaid invoices
You need to provide quotes or unpaid invoices from relevant service providers that show the amount needed to pay for the funeral expense.
The quotes or unpaid invoices provided must:
- be on a letterhead
- be dated, and
- be within the relevant timeframe - quotes can be no more than 6 months old and unpaid invoices no more than 30 days old
Maximum release amount
There is a maximum superannuation amount of $18,000 that can be considered to cover a dependent’s death, funeral or burial expenses. These include expenses from the funeral service provider and monument or headstone provider. Expenses such as venue hire and catering for a wake will not be considered.
What you need to do
To apply for an early release of superannuation for a dependant’s funeral expenses you need to:
- complete an online application using your Centrelink online account through myGov
- confirm your identity, and
- provide all supporting documents requested in the online application
Read more about how to apply.