Health Care Card and Pensioner Concession Card while travelling outside Australia

To remain eligible for a Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card while you are outside Australia, you must continue to meet the qualification rules for your card.

There are rules about how long your Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card can remain current when you travel outside Australia.

Rules for Health Care Cards and Pensioner Concession Cards outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country your concession card will be cancelled when you leave.

If you leave Australia temporarily, your card will remain current for up to 6 weeks provided your payment also remains current. Your card will be cancelled after 6 weeks if you can be paid for more than 6 weeks.

When to tell us about your travel

To find out if your Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card will be affected when you travel and when you should tell us you’re leaving Australia, check the rules for the payment you receive on the payments while outside Australia page.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Page last updated: 29 July 2016

This information was printed Thursday 25 May 2017 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.