Lost or stolen Medicare cards

If your Medicare card is lost or stolen you can ask for a replacement card


  • calling 132 011
  • visiting a Medicare Service Centre
  • sending your new address to the Department of Human Services, GPO Box 9822 in your capital city (a form is not required) together with a signed written request that includes your Medicare card number
  • using our Medicare online accounts

If you are living or holidaying overseas, your Medicare card can't be reissued until you return to Australia.

Page last updated: 25 January 2016

This information was printed Monday 8 February 2016 from humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/lost-or-stolen-medicare-cards It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at humanservices.gov.au/siteinformation when using this material.