Medical reviews for DSP
If you get Disability Support Pension (DSP), we may review your medical eligibility to make sure you’re still getting the right support.
Why we conduct reviews
We conduct medical reviews for a range of reasons.
The rules for DSP have changed over time, including new Impairment Tables in 2012.
Read more about the Impairment Tables on the Department of Social Services website.
If you’ve been on DSP for a while, we may need to check that:
- we have current information about the impact of your condition, and
- you meet current rules for DSP
Medical risk based reviews
If you started getting DSP more than 2 years ago and haven’t had a medical review in the past 2 years we may check your medical eligibility for DSP under a medical risk based review.
Read more about medical risk based reviews
We’ll contact you
If you’re selected for a medical review, we’ll write to you and tell you what you need to do.
You’ll need to give us information for the review. This may include:
- a review form with a report from your treating health professional
- current medical evidence for your condition, and
- whether you consent for your treating health professional to give us further information, if we need to contact them - complete and return the Consent to disclose medical information form
Call us before your review date if you:
- need help filling out the review form
- are having trouble getting current medical evidence
- won’t be able to return the review form or current medical evidence by the due date, or
- are not sure what information you need to give us
We may give you more time to get the information.
Your payment may stop if you don’t give us the information or contact us to discuss it.
We may ask you to attend a Job Capacity Assessment. This includes assessment of your conditions under the current Impairment Tables.
This helps us understand:
- how your condition affects you now
- your ability to work
- any help you may need to get a job
What happens after the review
We’ll write to you with the outcome of your review.
If you’re no longer eligible for DSP, you may be eligible for other support. You can use our Payment and Service Finder to see what support may be suitable for you.