Medicare enrolment for New Zealand citizens

A New Zealand citizen who is living in Australia may also enrol if they provide the required documentation.

It’s your responsibility to provide documentation to establish you are living in Australia.

You’ll need to supply the following documentation:

Where you don’t have enough documentation, you can return in six months with any residency documentation you have and a completed Statutory Declaration.

If you were a New Zealand resident before arriving in Australia, you’re covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between Australia and New Zealand. This covers any essential medical treatment in a public hospital, either as a public in-patient or out-patient.

Documents to confirm residency

You need to provide two documents from the lists below to prove your residency in Australia. Documents must be originals or certified copies. Photocopying isn’t available from Medicare Service Centres so please prepare them before visiting us.

Documents from New Zealand

  • Sale of property (sale agreement)
  • Cessation of lease agreement for rental of property
  • Termination of employment (acceptance of resignation by employer)
  • Transit document for household goods and/or furniture
  • Closure of bank accounts, cancellation of health or property/contents insurance

Documents from Australia

  • Purchase of property (purchase agreement), gas/electricity accounts in same name
  • Lease agreement for rental of property, gas/electricity accounts in same name
  • Evidence of employment
  • Evidence of children at school/university
  • Private health insurance in Australia, property/contents insurance or opening of bank accounts.

Page last updated: 1 February 2016