We're changing our website design on 27 August 2017.

Netherlands Reciprocal Health Care Agreement for 405 and 410 retirement visa holders

This information is to help 405 and 410 retirement visa holders in Australia to determine if the Australia-Netherlands Reciprocal Health Care Agreement applies to them.

Your eligibility is assessed on several factors. The RHCA applies to visa holders who are both:

  • entitled to benefits according to the Zorgverzekeringswet, and
  • temporarily in Australia - that is, in Australia but not normally a resident

Criterion 1 - proof of residence in Netherlands

To prove residence in Netherlands you need to provide:

  • a European Health Insurance Card with initials NL - it must be issued by the health care insurer you're insured with

If you can't prove your residence in Netherlands, you're not eligible under the RHCA.

If you've met the requirements of this criterion, we'll determine whether you're normally a resident in Australia.

Criterion 2 - determine if you are a resident in Australia

If you've lived in Australia for a total of more than 6 of the past 12 months, either continuously, or intermittently, you aren't eligible under the RHCA.

If you arrived in Australia for the first time in the past 12 months, and haven't spent more than 6 months here since then, either continuously or intermittently, you’re eligible under the RHCA - you aren't considered normally a resident in Australia. Read more about enrolment below.

If you arrived in Australia for the first time more than 12 months ago, you may not be eligible under the RHCA even if you haven't lived in Australia for a total of more than 6 of the past 12 months, either continuously or intermittently. Read more about criterion 3.

Criterion 3 - established lifestyle

Your eligibility also depends on your established lifestyle in Australia. You’re considered normally a resident and not eligible under the RHCA if 3 or more of the following apply to you:

  • you intend to spend more than 6 of the next 12 months in Australia
  • your visits to Australia form a pattern of regular and significant visits over a number of years
  • you own property in Australia
  • you lease or rent property in Australia
  • you have a spouse, parent, or children living in Australia
  • you're employed in Australia
  • you have a bank account in Australia
  • you have a motor vehicle registered in your name in Australia
  • you have formed ties to the community in Australia, such as membership of a club or other organised groups


If you think you're eligible under the RHCA, complete the Medicare enrolment application form. You can post or email it, along with certified copies of supporting evidence, to:

Victoria Medicare Public Eligibility Team
Department of Human Services
PO Box 9822
Melbourne VIC 3001

Email the MPS eligibility team.

Make sure you also send a signed statutory declaration confirming your residence status under all criteria.

We’re testing a new website design. Try it out and tell us what you think. Read more about changes to this site.

Page last updated: 28 November 2016

This information was printed Tuesday 22 August 2017 from humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/netherlands-reciprocal-health-care-agreement-and-405-and-410-retirement-visa It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at humanservices.gov.au/siteinformation when using this material.