Newstart Allowance while travelling outside Australia
To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for Newstart Allowance.
There are rules about when your Newstart Allowance can be paid when you travel outside Australia.
Rules for Newstart Allowance outside Australia
Your Newstart Allowance payments will stop on departure if you:
- leave Australia to live in another country, or
- leave Australia temporarily, unless you are travelling for an approved reason
If you have been granted Newstart Allowance under a residence exemption available to certain New Zealand citizens and your payment stops while you are outside Australia, you cannot be re-granted payment under the exemption on your return.
Approved reasons for payment overseas
Newstart Allowance may be paid outside Australia for a negotiated period of up to 6 weeks for the following approved reasons:
- attending an acute family crisis. For example, to visit a family member who is critically ill
- humanitarian reasons. For example, to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings, or
- receiving eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia
If you are attending a training camp with the Australian Defence Force Reserves you can get your payment for the duration of the training.
When to tell us about your travel
You should always tell us if you are leaving Australia.
Read more about payments while outside Australia.