Non-parent carer applying for Child Support

If you provide care for a child and are not the parent, you may be able to receive Child Support from both parents if you apply for a Child Support assessment.

Examples of non-parent carers include legal guardians, grandparents or other family members.

You can apply for a non-parent carer child support assessment if you:

  • care for a child 128 nights or more a year (35 per cent or more care), and
  • are not in a domestic relationship with either of the child’s parents.

If you apply for a child support assessment, you must apply to receive child support from both parents except if:

  • one parent is not a resident of Australia or an overseas country Australia has a child support arrangement with,
  • one parent is deceased, or
  • there are special circumstances - for example, the identity of one parent is unknown.

Child Support will consider other requirements before deciding to accept your application and we will need to be satisfied that the person or people that you name in your application are legally the parents of the child. For more information see The Child Support Guide (Chapters 2.1.1 and 2.1.3).

Child support is worked out based on both parents’ incomes and the amount of care that you and the parents have of the child. Your own income is not taken into account.

To receive Child Support if you are a non-parent carer, you will need to apply for a child support assessment. Complete the Application for Child Support assessment - Non-parent carers form or call 131 272.

Grandparent Advisers can help you with services and forms if you are not sure what to do.

Page last updated: 21 February 2017