Ordinary waiting period
You may need to serve a one week ordinary waiting period if you are making a claim for Newstart Allowance or Sickness Allowance.
Read more about:
Exemptions or waivers
You may be exempt from serving the ordinary waiting period if you:
- reclaim a payment within 13 weeks of receiving an income support payment or a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Service Pension
- are doing an approved work or study program such as the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme
- are undertaking a rehabilitation program
We may waive the ordinary waiting period if you’re experiencing severe financial hardship.
Severe financial hardship
Severe financial hardship occurs if:
- as a single person, your liquid assets are less than the maximum fortnightly payment rate you would get if the ordinary waiting period did not apply, or
- as a member of a couple, your liquid assets are less than twice the maximum fortnightly payment rate that you would get if the ordinary waiting period did not apply
If you think you may be exempt, please contact us.