Partner Allowance when you reach age pension age
You can transfer to Age Pension when you reach Age Pension age.
When you reach age pension age you can transfer to Age Pension.
Just before you reach age pension age, we’ll ask you to complete a Transfer to Age Pension.
- if you want to transfer to Age Pension or continue to get Partner Allowance, and
- about any superannuation you have
If you are registered with a Centrelink online account and subscribe to receive your letters online, we will ask you to transfer to Age Pension online.
Benefits if you transfer to Age Pension include:
- the rate of payment and income and assets tests are more generous
- a Pensioner Concession Card
- the rules for Age Pension are generally better if you intend to travel outside Australia
- you can access the Work Bonus
- you may have more land exempted from the assets test if your home is on a block of land larger than 2 hectares and on 1 title
If you are currently getting the Education Entry Payment you should compare the payment rates for Age Pension with your current Partner Allowance payment rate before making a decision. You will lose access to Education Entry Payment if you transfer to Age Pension.
Once you reach age pension age, the Pension Supplement is automatically paid to you with your Partner Allowance. The supplement replaces: