Paying child support when the other parent lives overseas - assessment made overseas

You live in Australia and the other parent lives overseas excluding New Zealand, and the assessment was made by the overseas authority.

If you live in Australia and pay child support to a parent who lives overseas excluding New Zealand, and the assessment was made by the overseas authority, the following information applies to you.

When we register and enforce child support on behalf of authorities from reciprocating jurisdictions, our role is to act as a collection agency on behalf of that country. Payments should be made to us in Australia.

Payment options

There are a number of convenient ways to pay child support. Having us collect your payment means you do not need to worry about the costs of converting your payments to another currency.


If you are employed or receive Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs payments, we will arrange for your child support to be deducted and sent to us directly. There is no cost involved.

If you do not want us to deduct payments in this way, you must contact us so that we can arrange an alternative method.


You will need Biller Code 201509 and your 16 digit payment reference number. You will find this on your payer account statement.

Australia Post BillPay

You can make a payment at any branch of Australia Post.

EasyPay - credit or debit card

If payments are made through us, the most convenient way for you to pay is by credit or debit card through Australian Government EasyPay. It is fully automated, secure and available 24 hours a day.  This service will incur a card payment fee.


Post a cheque or money order payable to ‘Department of Human Services—Child Support’ with your payment slip to:

Department of Human Services
Locked Bag 11
A’Beckett Street
Melbourne VIC 8006

Call the Payments Enquiry Line on 1800 241 272 for more information about these payment options.

Changes to assessments or court orders

Generally, the child support assessment or court order is made under foreign law. This means any changes to the assessment or court order need to be made through the child support authority in the overseas jurisdiction.

However, in some cases an overseas child support assessment or court order can be varied by an Australian court. Contact us on +61 131 272 or +61 3 6216 0864 (international call charges apply) to discuss your individual circumstances or seek independent legal advice.

Page last updated: 25 January 2016