Remote Area Allowance while travelling outside Australia

To remain eligible for Remote Area Allowance while you are outside Australia, you must continue to meet the qualification rules for this payment.

There are rules about how long your Remote Area Allowance can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

Rules for Remote Area Allowance outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

You will continue to be paid Remote Area Allowance for the first 8 weeks of any temporary absence from the remote area where you are living. This includes when you are travelling overseas.

Check your main payment type to find out whether you can be paid when you leave Australia and when you should tell us about your travel plans.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

We’re testing a new website design. Try it out and tell us what you think. Read more about changes to this site.

Page last updated: 16 February 2017

This information was printed Friday 21 July 2017 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.