Rent Assistance while travelling outside Australia

There are rules for when Rent Assistance can be paid when you are outside Australia

Rules for Rent Assistance outside Australia

You must continue to meet the eligibility requirements for your main payment.

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia temporarily, as long as you continue to be paid your main payment, you will generally continue to receive your Rent Assistance for up to 6 weeks.

If your main payment can be paid for longer than 6 weeks, providing you are still paying rent in Australia, you may continue to receive Rent Assistance.

You need to tell us if you are leaving Australia. The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 16 February 2017

This information was printed Saturday 29 April 2017 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.