Residence requirements for claiming a Pension Bonus
To be eligible for claiming a Pension Bonus you must satisfy residence requirements.
You must be:
- an Australian resident on the day you submit your claim, and
- physically present on the day you submit your claim
You also need to have been an Australian resident:
- for a continuous period of at least 10 years, or
- for a number of periods that total more than 10 years with 1 of the periods being at least 5 years, unless you:
- are a refugee or former refugee
- were getting Partner Allowance, Widow Allowance or Widow B Pension immediately before turning age pension age, or
- are a woman whose partner died while you were both Australian residents, and you have been an Australian resident for 2 years immediately before claiming Age Pension
If you have lived or worked in a country with which Australia has an international social security agreement, it may have helped you meet these residence requirements when you registered in the scheme. However, you cannot be paid if you need to use the provisions of an international social security agreement when claiming your bonus.