Support services for separated families

We provide separated parents support and information to help with their family situation.

Separation is a time of many changes and it is important to seek support if you need it.

There are a number of groups, websites, publications and services available to support separated and single parents as well as children.

Our services

The services we offer include:

  • referrals to third party services such as the Family Relationship Advice Line, MensLine Australia, 1800RESPECT or Financial Counselling Australia
  • referrals to a private and confidential counselling service if you would like to speak with a professional about your situation
  • support products and services that can provide you and your family with helpful information and advice to help with the changes to your situation
  • Child Support online account, a quick, easy and secure way to manage your child support where and when it suits you. You can receive letters and statements, send us a message, let us know if your care levels change, update your personal details and check your payment details
  • the Child Support Information Service, an automated telephone service that gives child support-receiving parents information about their child support account 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • helpful tools and interactive activities, such as a budgeting tool to help you and your family with separation and family issues

Support groups and services for parents

Some of the groups that support parents are:

Counselling and support services

Name Phone number Special notes
1800 RESPECT 1800 737 732 National sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling service
beyondblue 1300 224 636 Provides information on depression, anxiety and related alcohol and drug problems, available treatment and where to get help
Family Relationships 1800 050 321 Provides all families, whether together or separated with access to information about family relationship issues, ranging from building better relationships to dispute resolution
Financial Counselling Australia 1800 007 007 Provides free and confidential access to financial counsellors. They are non-judgmental, trained professionals that can provide information, support and advocacy to people in financial difficulty.
Kids Helpline 1800 551 800 Professional counsellors provide free and confidential counselling for young people aged between 5 and 25 dealing with separation and divorce
Lifeline 131 114 Trained volunteers provide free telephone counselling 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Mensline Australia 1300 789 978 Provides a free, 24 hour phone support service for men with relationship and family concerns
Stepfamilies Australia 03 9663 6733 Works with a network of state stepfamily groups and community service providers to provide quality information, family support services, practitioner training, research and advocacy

Separated families support material

Things to consider during separation

  • Advising us about the change of circumstances
  • Using our Payment and Service Finder to help you find, estimate and compare payments and services that you may be eligible for
  • Updating your Medicare card
  • Updating your contact details with Centrelink, Medicare, Child Support, utility companies, financial institutions, insurance companies, schools, the Australian Taxation Office and other organisations
  • Updating your driver’s licence
  • Mail re-direction
  • Arrangements for care of the kids. For example, setting up a parenting plan
  • How the separation affects your finances. For example, budgets, mortgages, loans, bank accounts, credit cards, superannuation, and taxation
  • Legal matters. For example, remaking wills, property settlement, and court orders
  • Taking care of yourself emotionally and physically
  • Safety. If you’re in immediate danger, call 000

Factsheets available in other languages

  • Paying child support when the other parent is overseas (amount established overseas)
  • Paying child support when the other parent is overseas (amount established in Australia)
  • Paying child support when you live overseas
  • Receiving child support when you live overseas
  • Receiving child support when the other parent lives overseas
  • Paying child support to the other parent in New Zealand
  • Receiving child support when the other parent lives in New Zealand

Available in the information in your language section.


Useful contacts while paying or receiving child support

You may find this contact information useful if you pay or receive child support.

Government services

About Phone number
Australian Taxation Office 132 861
Commonwealth Ombudsman 1300 362 072
Department of Veterans' Affairs 133 254
Fraud tip-off line 131 524
Administrative Appeals Tribunal Freecall 1800 228 333

Legal help services

About Phone number Special notes
Family Law Courts 1300 352 000 All states except WA
Family Law Court of Western Australia 08 9224 8222 WA only
  1800 199 228 country areas of WA

Legal Aid offices

State Legal Aid offices Phone number
Australian Capital Territory 1300 654 314
New South Wales 1300 888 529
Northern Territory 1800 019 343
Queensland 1300 651 188
South Australia 1300 366 424
Tasmania 1300 366 611
Victoria 1300 792 387
Western Australia 1300 650 579

Page last updated: 13 June 2017