Travel restrictions for ABSTUDY Fares Allowance
You can’t get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for all travel.
You can’t get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for travel from or to Australia.
If we approve you to study overseas, you can get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance to travel within another country.
You normally can’t get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance to travel over the weekend. You can only get it if there’s a good reason or a supervisor is travelling with you.
If your place of study, boarding school or hostel asks you to travel on the weekend, they need to:
- get a supervisor to travel with you if you’re under 18, and
- give us an emergency contact number
If there are problems during travel, we can’t help you. Your boarding school, hostel, supervisor or parent must arrange your accommodation if needed.
You normally can’t get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for interstate travel if you’re:
- a secondary school student, or
- doing a Statement of Attainment, Certificate or Enabling course
Secondary school students
You normally can’t get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for interstate travel to get to your secondary school. You can only get it if:
- your home is close to a state or territory boarder and it’s cheaper to travel to your school across a border
- all boarding schools you could stay at are in another state or territory
- you have a Scholarship to a Highly Effective or High Expectation School or an Independent Boarding School interstate
- you have a Transition School Scholarship at Melbourne Indigenous Transition School (MITS) to help you get a scholarship at a high performing school
- you have a scholarship at a MITS partner school because you completed the MITS program and you get the higher away from home rate of ABSTUDY under Continuity of Study rules
- you get the higher away from home rate of ABSTUDY because of Home conditions and you don’t have reasonable access to a Special Assistance School in your home state or territory
- you get the higher away from home rate of ABSTUDY because you study an approved special course in another state or territory, or
- you get the higher away from home rate of ABSTUDY at an interstate school and your situation has changed, but it’s very important you continue at the interstate school
Statement of Attainment, Certificate or Enabling courses
You normally can’t get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for interstate travel to attend a Statement of Attainment, Certificate or Enabling course.
You can only get it if:
- it’s cheaper for you to travel to your place of study across a border
- you have an offer of an interstate placement in the Indigenous Youth Mobility Pathways Project, or
- a similar course isn’t available in your state or territory - for this to happen, your place of study must have an exemption from the Department of Social Services
If you have questions about ABSTUDY Fares Allowance, call the ABSTUDY students line.