Updating your gender details with us

If you identify as a gender other than the sex you were assigned at birth, or as a non-binary gender, you can choose to update your gender details with us.

Update your gender details

Currently, our personal records system only allows us to record your gender as male or female. If you identify as a non-binary gender, we can only add a note to your personal record.  

You do not have to update your gender details. It is your choice.

If you want us to update your gender details, you need to provide us with one of the following documents:

  • statement from a Registered Medical Practitioner or Registered Psychologist verifying your gender
  • valid Australian Government travel document, such as a valid passport specifying your preferred gender
  • state or territory birth certificate which specifies your preferred gender, or
  • state or territory Gender Recognition Certificate or Recognised Details Certificate showing a state or territory Registrar of Birth, Deaths and Marriages has accepted a change in sex

We will not be able to update your gender details if you cannot provide one of these documents.

You can bring your supporting document to a service centre to update your Centrelink or Medicare records. If you are not able to visit a service centre or you live in a remote area, you can post a copy of your evidence document and signed request letter to:

Reply Paid 7800
Canberra BC ACT 2610

GPO Box 9822
In your capital city

To update your details on your Child Support record, you will need to send a signed request letter and a copy of your evidence document to:

Child Support
GPO Box 9815
Melbourne VIC 3001

Or you can fax your signed request letter and evidence document to Child Support on 1300 309 949.

Update your name or title

You can ask us to update your name or title at any time, or you may choose not to have a title.

When you change your legal name, you may need to confirm your identity before we can update your record. You may need to supply evidence to support the change to your legal name. Evidence can include an Australian Government issued document such as a Births, Deaths and Marriages certificate, passport or proof-of-age card where your updated legal name appears. Read more about the type of evidence we need to confirm your identity.

You can tell us your preferred name and title you would like us to use and we can update your personal record without the need of a supporting document. You can also tell us if you would prefer we did not use a courtesy title, such as Miss, Mr, or Mrs.

Gender definitions


The chromosomal, gonadal and anatomical characteristics associated with biological sex.


A part of a person’s personal and social identity - it refers to the way a person feels, presents and is recognised within the community.

Non-binary gender

Those who do not fall within the traditional binary notions of sex and gender, such as male and female. This may include people who identify as a gender different to their birth sex or as neither male nor female and whose cultures may have their own terms for gender identities outside male and female.

Australian Government Guidelines on the Recognition of Sex and Gender

We are committed to applying the Australian Government Guidelines on the Recognition of Sex and Gender. We support customers who identify as being of a different gender to the sex they were assigned at birth.

Read the Australian Government Guidelines on the Recognition of Sex and Gender on the Attorney-General’s Department website.  

Page last updated: 15 November 2016