Update your personal details on a Medicare card

You can update some personal details online such as your address and bank account details.

Changes to name, date of birth and gender details on your Medicare record must be done in person at a service centre.

Read more about Medicare online accounts.

Check we have your current address so you receive your replacement card and other important information from us.

If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian you can update your Medicare card details by completing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Medicare enrolment and amendment form.

Change your name or date of birth

To change your name or date of birth you need to provide one of the following documents:

  • current driver's licence
  • birth certificate
  • non-commemorative marriage certificate issued by Births, Death and Marriages
  • legal document, for example, a change of name document

Change your gender

To notify us of a change of gender you need to provide one of the following documents:

  • a statement from a registered medical practitioner or psychologist
  • a valid Australian Government travel document, such as a passport, that specifies your gender
  • an amended state or territory birth certificate that specifies your gender
  • a state or territory Gender Recognition Certificate or Recognised Details Certificate showing a state or territory Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages has accepted your change in gender

Sex reassignment surgery or hormone therapy are not prerequisites for the recognition of a change of gender in Australian Government records.

We will treat sensitive issues in confidence. You can discuss changes to your enrolment by calling the Medicare line.

Once your details have been updated, if your name has changed, we will cancel your old card. You will be given a Medicare card confirmation advice to use until you receive your new card in the mail.

In extreme cases, if you live in a remote area or cannot visit a service centre, you can send a signed request with certified copies of the above documents and your current Medicare card to:

Department of Human Services
GPO Box 9822
in your capital city

Until your new card arrives in the mail, it is important you keep a record of your card number and use it for Medicare claiming purposes.

Page last updated: 17 November 2016

This information was printed Friday 24 February 2017 from humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/updating-your-personal-details-medicare-card It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at humanservices.gov.au/siteinformation when using this material.