Widow Allowance when you reach age pension age
You can transfer to Age Pension when you reach age pension age.
In the form, you need to tell us:
- if you want to transfer to Age Pension or continue to get Widow Allowance, and
- about any superannuation you have
If you are registered with a Centrelink online account and subscribe to receive your letters online, we will ask you to transfer to Age Pension online.
Benefits if you transfer to Age Pension include:
- the rate of payment and income and assets tests are more generous
- a Pensioner Concession Card
- the rules for Age Pension are generally better if you intend to travel outside Australia
- you may have more land exempted from the assets test if your home is on a block of land larger than 2 hectares, and on 1 title
- you can access the Work Bonus
If you are currently getting the Pensioner Education Supplement and Education Entry Payment you should compare the payment rates for Age Pension with your current rates before making a decision. You will lose access to the Pensioner Education Supplement and the Education Entry Payment if you transfer to Age Pension.
Read more about how to transfer to Age Pension.
Once you reach age pension age, the Pension Supplement will be automatically paid to you with your regular fortnightly payment of Widow Allowance. The supplement replaces: