Working Credit

Working Credit allows you to keep more of your income support payment and benefits while you are working.

Working Credit reduces the amount of your earnings that are subject to the income test. They are automatically calculated and applied if you receive an eligible payment.

Full time students who get Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY are eligible for Income Bank instead of Working Credit.

Building Working Credits

You build up Working Credits automatically when your total income, including income from paid work and investments, is less than $48 per fortnight

You build up one Working Credit for every dollar under $48 of total income per fortnight. 

If you receive Youth Allowance as a jobseeker, you can build up a total of 3,500 Working Credits.

You can build up to 1,000 Working Credits, if you receive:

You can view your Working Credit balance and history using your Centrelink online account.

Using Working Credits

You automatically use your Working Credits when you have earnings. Your Working Credits increase the amount you can earn before your income support payment starts to reduce.

Janine has been receiving Newstart Allowance for over 8 months without earning any income. She has built up 800 Working Credits. 

Janine starts a full time job, earning $1,000 gross per fortnight. Because she has Working Credits to use, she declares her income and continues to receive Newstart Allowance until her Working Credits are reduced to nil. 

In the first fortnight she earns $1,000. The 800 Working Credits reduce her income for reporting purposes to $200. She will still receive a part payment for Newstart Allowance in this fortnight.

Continuing benefits

If you have used up all of your Working Credits, and your income from work reduces your income support payment to $0, you may be able to keep your concession card and some other benefits for up to 12 weeks.

The benefits you can keep depend on your individual situation, but may include:

If you are a single principal carer of a dependent child, you may be entitled to a Health Care Card for a further period of up to 26 weeks.

Page last updated: 3 February 2016