Do you owe us money?

If you do, we can ask you to pay off your Centrelink debts at any time.

If you don’t have a payment arrangement set up, from 1 January 2017 you could be charged interest and stopped from travelling overseas.

To pay back the money, use Money You Owe service in your Centrelink online account through myGov, or talk to us about setting up a payment arrangement.

If you set up a payment arrangement and make your repayments, you won’t be charged interest or stopped from travelling overseas.

To help you pay off your debt faster, we will ask the Australian Taxation Office to send us your tax refund to pay your debt. This will happen even if you have a payment arrangement in place.

To avoid a debt, tell us straight away if your circumstances change, or if you think you’ve been overpaid.

Next steps

Read more:

Page last updated: 22 December 2016